The Colonies

Huddersfield, WEST YORKSHIRE - Old Clergy House, Almondbury

Huddersfield, WEST YORKSHIRE - Old Clergy House, Almondbury
Address:
The Old Clergy House, Almondbury, Nr Huddersfield, West Yorkshire
Children:
20 boys aged 7-12
Opened:
28 July 1937
Closed:
22 June 1939
Support:
Local BCC (mainly), actively led by the Mayor of Huddersfield: Cllr Joseph Barlow and the Chairman of the House Committee: Mrs W. Lawton
Maestra:
Soledad Gorriño
Auxiliar:
Hilaria Alonso

Short notes

  • The children seem to have stayed the whole time here and not been moved around.

Articles concerning this colony

Huddersfield — Huddersfield and the Spanish Civil War
Alan Brooke March 2009
[First published in the Huddersfield Local History Society Journal]

Account of the unveiling of the blue plaque at Almondbury, Huddersfield — by Carmen Kilner

Basque Refugees in Huddersfield, 1937-1939 

The Clergy House - 1898 - Almondbury, Huddersfield 

Plaque Remembers Basque Refugee Children 

Links to external sites concerning this colony

Basque Refugees in Huddersfield, 1937-1939, from the web site of Huddersfield historian Alan Brooke

Contemporary newspaper extracts and reports about this colony

View the extracts, curated by Gaizka Garamendi, by newspaper title or by year, or both.

More to follow as we develop this part of the site …