The Colonies

Montrose, TAYSIDE - Mall Park House

Montrose, TAYSIDE - Mall Park House
Address:
Mall Park House, Mall Park Road, Montrose, Angus, Tayside DD10 8NN
Children:
35 boys & girls
Opened:
Early September 1937
Closed:
Spring 1939
Support:
Local BCC (mainly), known as the Dundee Breakfast Club
Secretary:
Mr. D. Chapman
Director:
Miss May Wilson
Assistant:
Miss K McColgan
Maestra:
Adelina Larraga
Auxiliar:
Maria Blanco acted as cook

Short notes

  • This was the only colony in Scotland
  • Most of the children were repatriated, except those whose family were in exile or had died.

Articles concerning this colony

Names of some of the Basque children at Montrose 

The Montrose colony — by Forbes Inglis

Basque Children's Colony, Montrose — Sunday Post, 21 July 1985

Dundee & Montrose Press Cuttings 1937 

Background to the Montrose Colony 

Another Blue Plaque Unveiled! (Montrose) — by Carmen Coupland

Scotland's forgotten Spanish Civil War Refugee Colony — by Gaizka Garamendi

Newsletter items concerning this colony

Newsletter No. 9, page 5 — Blue plaque at Montrose

Newsletter No. 13, page 5 — The plaque at Montrose

Links to external sites concerning this colony

The Scotsman: "Scotland's forgotten Spanish Civil War refugee colony", June 2016

TheCourier.co.uk: "Eighty years since children refugees of the Spanish Civil War were welcomed to Tayside", May 2017

Imperial War Museum's War Memorials Register: "Basque Refugee Children of Spanish Civil War"

80th anniversary of the Bombing of Gernika: When Basque children arrived in Montrose, Scotland, March 2017

Contemporary newspaper extracts and reports about this colony

View the extracts, curated by Gaizka Garamendi, by newspaper title or by year, or both.

More to follow as we develop this part of the site …